A few of you might remember my book review round-up from last year. I decided to make a similar list this year and reflect on all of the fantastic books I read.
I started out the year with a goal of reading 35 books. I’m pleased to say that I was able to accomplish this goal, despite six weeks of travel during the year and a few employment changes which threw my schedule off.
The year started with a bunch of books I found on NetGalley, a resource for bloggers looking for free advance copies of books to review, and I found quite a few gems, including Shattered Veil (Rebel Wing) by Tracy Banghart and later in the year its sequel, Storm Fall. Some of the NetGalley books weren’t quite as promising, such as the first book on the list below.
NetGalley is an excellent resource, but the lure of paper and ink is too strong for me, and I ended up going back to paper books for (most) of the rest of the year. I read quite a few sequels, including Witchstruck and Witchfall, books 2 and 3 of the Tudor Witch Trilogy, plus The Caller, the final book in the Shadowfell Trilogy, and the second book in the Scarlet series, Lady Thief.
Juliet Marillier appears to have been my favourite author this year–I read five of her books across three different series. The only other repeats were Victoria Lamb and Tracy Banghart, with two books each.
My favourite book this year was most likely Shattered Veil (Rebel Wing) by Tracy Banghart. She was an indie author who very deservedly got picked up by Alloy Entertainment; her books are excellent, and I can’t wait for the sequel to Storm Fall!
In 2015 I’m going to maintain my goal of 35 books since it worked well for me this year. We’ll see how I go–it would not surprise me at all to learn that 2015 will be filled with just as many disruptions as 2014 was. I am most looking forward to the releases of a few sequels: Lion Heart (Scarlet #3) by A.C. Gaughen, Shadowscale (Seraphina #2) by Rachel Hartmann, and SUPPOSEDLY The Gift of Power (Exile #1) by Tamora Pierce… but you’ll notice that last one was in LAST year’s hopes and dreams (then titled Arram), so who knows. I’ve been waiting since 2006, I guess I can wait a little longer.
Here’s to a new year!
Books I Read in 2014:
- Defy by Sara B. Larson *
- The Long Way by Michael Corbin Ray and Therese Vannier ***
- Endless by Amanda Gray ***
- The Commodore’s Daughter by Jaime Brazil **
- Quintspinner by Dianne Greenlay *
- The Tale of Mally Biddle by M.L. LeGette *
- Shattered Veil (Rebel Wing) by Tracy E. Banghart *****
- Summers at Castle Auburn by Sharon Shinn ****
- The Shakespeare Stealer by Gary Blackwood ***
- Set in Stone by Linda Newbery ****
- Lady Thief (Scarlet #2) by A.C. Gaughen ****
- Legacy of the Clockwork Key by Kristin Bailey *
- A Taste of Lightning by Kate Constable *
- City of a Thousand Dolls by Miriam Forster ***
- Witchfall (Tudor Witch #2) by Victoria Lamb ****
- Prisoners in the Palace by Michaela MacColl *****
- Copper Magic by Julia Mary Gibson ****
- A Drowned Maiden’s Hair by Laura Amy Schlitz *****
- Daughter of the Forest (Sevenwaters #1) by Juliet Marillier ****
- Son of the Shadows (Sevenwaters #2) by Juliet Marillier ****
- The Caller (Shadowfell #3) by Juliet Mariller ***
- Witchrise (Tudor Witch #3) by Victoria Lamb ***
- The Kiss of Deception (Remnant Chronicles #1) by Mary E. Pearson ****
- The Amaranth Enchantment by Julie Berry ***
- The Mind’s Eye by K.C. Finn ****
- Child of the Prophecy (Sevenwaters #3) by Juliet Marillier ****
- Cattra’s Legacy by Anna Mackenzie ****
- Promised (Birthmarked #3) by Caragh M. O’Brien ***
- Wildwood Dancing by Juliet Marillier *****
- His Majesty’s Dragon (Temeraire #1) by Naomi Novik ****
- Storm Fall (Rebel Wing #2) by Tracy Banghart *****
- The Thief (Queen’s Thief #1) by Megan Whalen Turner ***
- The Islands of Chaldea by Diana Wynne Jones (and Ursula Jones) ****
- The Ruby in the Smoke by Philip Pullman ***
- The Witch of Salt and Storm by Kendall Kulper ****